Sunday, February 21, 2021

Snow for Days

 

"You will find me if you want me in the garden
Unless it's pouring down with rain..." ~
Einstürzende Neubauten

I spent a little Sunday afternoon time over at Terrain Vague today. I had a bucket of compost to drop off and my son wanted me to check out the avant-garde snowman he spent all weekend building; it's rare to get so much snowman worthy snow in our southern city. 




The temperatures are finally climbing out of the deep-freeze and the garden is half snow/half mud. I have a few things overwintering in the greenhouse and they look sleepy, but very well indeed. I checked on the ootheca (praying mantis egg case) I found on the Yule greenery and placed there last month. The snow on the roof made the greenhouse all grey and cozy. I gave everyone a little water and tucked them all back in for a few more weeks of cold.



All I can say is I am ready for spring. I am yearning for that old dirt-under-nails showdown in the garden. Back at the house, I've started a couple of seeds already: Slow germinating hot peppers and chives, but I am waiting for the spring sun to warm up the greenhouse and then my seed sowing quest begins. This year I want to fill every space of Terrain Vague with plants. I hope to grow a good percentage of our vegan diet on this lot. I want to attract more wild things. I want to focus back on the goal I set out to accomplish when I obtained this forlorn Terrain Vague back in 2019. She deserves to be restored into something beautiful, a natural refuge for wild things and for me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment