Saturday, February 16, 2019

Good Creature/Bad Genes


I feel like I am racing against a clock. It's exhausting and a bit exhilarating, but it's working.

Terrain Vague before the fence build

Now I don't mean the literal one or even the proverbial one we often talk about, but the one that ticks when you have big aspirations and a timeline that suddenly bends and tangles without notice, with just one phone call.

Unfortunate necessity is a fence, but I am also a private person who needs a secret place to garden.
I left a gap at the bottom so the animals that explore this space can still come in. I am trying to be a good creature to other great creatures.
This week's phone call was one that Hallmark movies can make a lot more dramatic. I was kind of expecting it anyway, so it wasn't like I was shocked. I wasn't surprised because I come from a long line of maternal genes that tend to misbehave once the body reaches the 40th decade. I am three years older than my mother was when she received her news, five years older than the age my grandmother died from it. I have always been a late bloomer.

Not 100% pleased I had to use treated wood, but I guess this fence will be around for awhile.

So, it seems I have breast cancer. I get a pink ribbon. The better news is that because I knew I have this family history and because I live in a time when computers can see better than a human, and I am blessed with good insurance (unlike others), I was meticulous about getting my mammograms. It's very early in my naughty cells' ardent revolt. Well, ironically, I was a bit late this year by about half a year and I was reminded by my primary physician I was overdue. Also, ironically, I joked with my sister that this would be my year because I was late (secretly, between you and me, I was going to skip it this year because I was thinking I had dodged the bad gene bullet...I think there is a lesson in here to pass on). 


A cat likes to visit the lot
So, I am racing against a schedule that will include surgery in the next few weeks. I have such big plans for Terrain Vague this spring and I hope I am not going to be down too long. But, because I am in the dark on the recovery time at the moment, I am working double time to get some logistical items completed. Particularly items like fence building that uses a bit of muscle and grit. Today, I managed to build part of the fence (I would have finished it, but I could only fit 15 pickets in my clown car). Next week, I plan to transport the other 15 pickets I need and build a gate. I also have a few fruit trees already here with more to come (nectarine, figs and a plum) to get in the ground and raised bed boxes to build. I have compost and soil being delivered soon. I have plans to build a greenhouse from old windows I have scavenged. I need to do all of this pre-surgery.



I am also speed reading because, this week, all of my long waitlisted books came in at once at the wonderful public library in my city. I love the library. I support the library. I am a Friend of the Library. Currently, my three favorites out of the giant stack of books are:

  • Veggie Garden Remix by Niki Jabbour
  • How to Be a Good Creature by Sy Montgomery (p.s. read her book The Soul of the Octopus)
  • The Nature Fix by Florence Williams*
So, Terrain Vague should be dramatically altered in just a few weeks, not Hallmark movie dramatic or anything, but enough that I can escape and breathe when the fear of anesthesia and anger with my bad genes overcomes me. A place where I can plant some seeds, water them with tears and hope something grows.
*Unbeknownst to me, again ironically, I saw Florence Williams also wrote a book called Breasts: A Natural and Unnatural History which is absolutely going on my next hold list.






3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the unwelcome news, even if it was something you were expecting. I lost my mom, her sister, and my maternal grandmother to this monster, and nearly lost my daughter to childhood leukemia. It is good to see your secret garden coming along and I look forward to seeing new posts as you are able.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Chuck! I am so sorry you have lost so many to BC and your beloved baby has suffered as well. It just seems to touch everyone. On that note, it seems to be women are more commonly affected, but I have read that men can also inherit these genes, yet it never really talked about. I hope you do some sort of screening with such a strong family history. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina, just cancer, not breast cancer. Grandma and aunt to lung cancer, and mom to a brain tumor. You're right about men and breast cancer though. I know two men who have been through it. I think it is probably more common than we realize because
    it's not talked about much. Hang in there! You're gonna kick this thing's butt!

    ReplyDelete